Saturday, May 14, 2011

one of a kind tutu

Tutu's are cute. And expensive. and actually really easy to make for a fraction of the price.

 how did i do it?  First I found a couple of tutorials on line : suburbs mama, feels like home
I kinda mixed how the 2 different blogs said to make it. I started with 4 1 yard sections of tulle in different colors. Black, hot pink, shiny light pink and shiny light purple. and 1 yard of 1/2 inch width of elastic. This is all from Joanns crafts. They didn't have rolls of tulle so I had to have it cut to what i wanted off the bolt. I measure Layla's waist (21") and cut my elastic to 19" (2 inches smaller then her waist) and sewed it into a circle at the ends. Now the problem i had when reading the tutorials was 'how wide do I make the strips?' one of them said 3-6 inches(or something like that). I made my strips approximately 4" wide by 24 inches long. I used 2 different color strips placed on each other at a time. use more or less at once to make it smaller or fuller.

Next, fold in half,
tie in a knot over the elastic,

repeat with the rest of your strips. Mine has a total of 38 knots. I used all 4 yards of tulle on it, rotating black and another color with 2 other colors. I didn't make any specific pattern with the colors.  ribbon and bows and stuff can be added to this but overall I am proud of my homemade tutu :) 
All together this cost about 7$ in supplies ( I probably could have gotten the tulle cheaper) and 3 hours of time,  instead of 30-40$ to buy one.

LINKED TO:

6 comments:

  1. That's great! I want one. Not really, but it's very cute. If I had a four-year-old I would definitely pay you to make me one. I don't think I would have anywhere I could reasonably wear it myself. Anyways, it's super adorable, and your model is pretty much the cutest! Give her a big kiss for me. :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Layla plans to have a tea party. she wants me to make one for robbie to wear. I guess he is her only guest for her tea party. I feel left out :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out so pretty! Love it!
    I would LOVE to have you share this at my For the Kids Link Party! Stop on by and join the fun!

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/05/for-kids-friday-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Love the colors you choose.. so rich and girly! Looks like your lovey loves it too! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!.. I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I am going to be making a few more this week so I am going to try to make a better tutorial. Its so simple that I am amazed that they actually cost as much as they do. I get to make a fiery one this week :) orange red and yellow yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty. I had no idea that tutus cost so much (having a son, so I have no clue about the girlie stuff). I bet your daughter is thrilled with it!

    Thanks so much for linking up at the Sunburnt Cow. I featured you over at All Thumbs Crafts.

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete